Here are a couple of my favorite summer specials – a no-bake dessert, a summer staple, and a refreshing beverage. I know I included this in my last letter, but it’s still summer so it’s still relevant:
Watermelon for Grownups*
- One round “sugar” watermelon
- 2 cups vodka
- Cut a 4-5 inch hole in the top
- Using a paring knife chop the inside of the watermelon to make it chunky
- Add 2 cups vodka
- Fresh mint – pick just before serving
- put the watermelon in a bowl or a pan so it doesn’t leak all over, chill overnight in refrigerator
Scoop out the watermelon chunks and add 1 cup to a blender.
Mix on high adding more watermelon as it emulsifies.
Once it’s frothy, pour into an appropriate glass and garnish with fresh mint.
*If you want to be prepared for future gatherings, chop up a sugar watermelon and put it in a blender with fresh mint. Turn it into a smoothie and freeze it. When you’re ready, you can put it back in the blender and add your favorite vodka – or not. It’s a great summer smoothie with or without.
German Potato Salad
- 5 slices bacon (diced and cooked until crisp)
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups sliced cooked potatoes – look for thin skinned like red or fingerling
- Boil already-sliced potatoes until they are cooked through. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon and keep the drippings. Set it aside to cool.
- Heat bacon drippings in a pan large enough to add the potatoes.
- Blend in flour, sugar, salt, and mustard.
- Slowly add vinegar and water. Stir until smooth.
- Continue cooking over low heat until thickened.
- Add potatoes and heat through. Slowly add crumbled bacon-save a few tablespoons for garnish.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
No Bake Cheesecake
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 4 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
- ½ pint sliced fresh strawberries – sprinkled with sugar – set aside
- Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Spoon mixture into graham crumb crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Once the cheesecake has set, garnish with sliced strawberries.