P.S. I LOVE bacon. I make a salad with a pound of bacon but I’ll share that recipe another time. With summer Bar-B-Ques I thought you might try a different take on potato salad. You have to turn on the stove for that one, but the dessert recipe I included is No Bake!
German Potato Salad
- 5 slices bacon (diced and cooked until crisp)
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups sliced cooked potatoes – look for thin skinned like red or fingerling
- Boil already-sliced potatoes until they are cooked through. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon and keep the drippings. Set it aside to cool.
- Heat bacon drippings in a pan large enough to add the potatoes.
- Blend in flour, sugar, salt, and mustard.
- Slowly add vinegar and water, stir until smooth.
- Continue cooking over low heat, until thickened.
- Add potatoes and heat through, slowly add crumbled bacon-save a few tablespoons for garnish.
- Serve warm or room temp.
No Bake Cheesecake
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 4 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
- ½ pint sliced fresh strawberries – sprinkled with sugar – set aside
- Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Spoon mixture into graham crumb crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Once the cheesecake has set, garnish with sliced strawberries.