TUSCAN STYLE COLLARD GREENS (A LITTLE BIT OF ITALY)
- 2 large bunches local collards
- 16 oz. low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 large leeks, washed, white part diced (slice 2-3 rings for garnish)
- 1/3 lb. pancetta or bacon chopped
- Cut or tear collard leaves off stems.
- Clean by rinsing repeatedly in cold water Soak and use a salad spinner if you have one.
- Cut into two-inch strips.
- Place in a large pot, cover generously with vegetable broth (reserve 1/3 cup broth for later), and bring to a low boil.
- Cook until collards are almost tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Sauté garlic for two minutes, or until tender. Using slotted spoon, remove garlic to a bowl.
- Add diced leeks to pan, and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes—do not brown.
- Remove leeks to garlic bowl. Add pancetta/bacon to frying pan, and sauté until browned.
- Return garlic and leeks to pan.
- Add reserved vegetable broth and collards.
- Stir gently and thoroughly until collards are completely cooked, about three minutes. Serve.
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN
- Cut up whole chicken
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cup corn meal
- 2 tablespoons sea salt season salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3-4 cups Wesson or high heat oil – enough to cover frying pan by at least 1 inch
- Wash Chicken – soak in slightly salted water for 10 minutes.
- Blend dry ingredients and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil until a drop of water sizzles.
- Dip chicken in buttermilk.
- Dredge chicken through dry ingredients and place in hot oil.
- Keep an eye on the chicken—when it’s brown on one side turn over and cook other side.
EASY POTATO SALAD
- 2 lbs New Potatoes or red potatoes cubed and cooked – let cool a bit
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup ranch dressing [with or without bacon] or add your own
- ¼ cup bacon bits or crumbled bacon
- Mix together and serve or refrigerate for 2 hours and serve.
FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE – ANOTHER CONTEST WINNER!
- 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375°F and butter an 8-inch round baking pan. Line bottom with a round of wax paper and butter paper.
- Chop chocolate into small pieces.
- In a double boiler or metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter, stirring, until smooth.
- Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture.
- Add eggs and whisk well.
- Sift 1/2 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 25 minutes, or until top has formed a thin crust.
- Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes and invert onto a serving plate.
- Dust cake with additional cocoa powder. (Cake keeps, after being cooled completely, in an airtight container, 1 week.)